Anyone that knows me will know that I’m both; I’m very protective of my clients and will fiercely defend them if I need to…..but sometimes I urge them to take a step back and avoid the fight.
It’s not a sign of weakness to give up the fight when:
- You’ve messed up;
- You’re wrong (hard to admit sometimes!);
- You are unnecessarily stressed out by it;
- You are unlikely to convince the other person to see your point of view;
- You are wasting your time, energy and resources when you could be focusing on something more worthwhile;
- It is costing you more to fight than it would to reach a settlement on commercial terms.
It is a sign of strength of character to see through the red mist and focus on finding a solution to a dispute.
It can be empowering to ‘drop the rope’ in your tug of war and walk away.